The list of the World’s 50 Best Hotels has been revealed, awarding hotels on six continents for their exceptional, industry-defining properties.
As summer holidays come to an end, 50 Best has compiled its list of the World’s 50 Best Hotels in 2023.It could be one to keep in mind when planning your next luxurious getaway. Twenty-one of the award-winning properties hailed from Europe. Passalacqua, a luxury 18th-century villa overlooking Lake Como in Italy, was named the best hotel in the world this year.
The ranking is put together from votes from 580 international well-travelled experts within the hotel and travel industry, with a 50/50 gender balance.
Nearly half of the award-winning properties are in Europe
London solidified its reputation as a global travel hub with four hotels – Claridge’s (16th), The Connaught (22nd), NoMad London (46th), and the Savoy (47th) – making the list.
Two other UK hotels were also winners. Gleneagles in Scotland ranked 32nd after also taking the Art of Hospitality Award – a special recognition for excellent restaurant and dining experiences.
The Newt in Somerset came in at 37, being given the additional Carlo Alberto Best Boutique Hotel Award, a reward reserved for hotels on the list that fit all the criteria of a boutique property.
Six of the award-winning hotels are based in France, with four of those in Paris: Le Bristol (29th), La Réserve (31st), Cheval Blanc (34th) and Hôtel de Crillon (50th).
The other award-winning European hotels that round out the list are located in Athens, Madrid, and Italy.
Italy is home to the best hotel in the world for 2023
The award for Best Hotel in the World 2023 went to Passalacqua in Lake Como, Italy.
The hotel’s 24 rooms are spread out over three buildings on seven acres of perfectly manicured terraced gardens full of olive groves, mimosa, roses and magnolia.
Inside the 18th-century villa, previously owned by composer Vincenzo Bellini, Italian craftsmanship abounds.
Original frescoes and ceiling carvings are further embellished with gilded mirrors, 19th-century portraits, lacquered antique tables and Murano chandeliers.
The food is a simple and relaxed affair, with guests often found wandering into the kitchen for a chat with the chef as if it were their private home.
“Huge congratulations to Passalacqua for the achievement of making it to No.1, just two years after opening,” Tim Brooke-Webb, Managing Director for The World’s 50 Best Hotels, commented.
A Hong Kong hotel secures second place
The towering Rosewood Hong Kong, set in the city’s Victoria Dockside arts and design district with stunning views of the harbour, placed second on the list.
The 65-storey, 413-room hotel includes 11 restaurants, a spa, swimming pool, and fitness centre, and is decorated throughout with modern, understated opulence.
Asia is home to another 17 properties that were nominated for the World’s Best Hotels 2023, with Four Seasons Bangkok, The Upper House in Hong Kong, and Aman Tokyo also placing on the list.
The complete list:
The 50 best hotels in the world
1. Passalacqua, Moltrasio, Italy
2. Rosewood Hong Kong, Hong Kong
3. Four Seasons Bangkok at Chao Phraya River, Thailand
4. The Upper House, Hong Kong
5. Aman Tokyo, Japan
6. La Mamounia, Marrakech, Morocco
7. Soneva Fushi, Maldives
8. One&Only Mandarina, Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
9. Four Seasons Firenze, Florence, Italy
10. Mandarin Oriental Bangkok, Thailand
11. Capella Bangkok, Thailand
12. The Calile, Brisbane, Australia
13. Chable Yucatán, Chochola, Mexico
14. Aman Venice, Italy
15. Singita Lodges, Kruger National Park, South Africa
16. Claridge’s, London, United Kingdom
17. Raffles Singapore, Singapore
18. Nihi Sumba, Wanokaka, Indonesia
19. Hotel Esencia, Tulum, Mexico
20. Le Sirenuse, Positano, Italy
21. Borgo Egnazia, Savelletri, Italy
22. The Connaught, London
23. Royal Mansour, Marrakech, Morocco
24. Four Seasons Madrid, Spain
25. Aman New York, United States
26. The Maybourne Riviera, Roquebrune-Cap-Martin, France
27. Rosewood Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
28. Capella Singapore, Singapore
29. Le Bristol Paris, France
30. Park Hyatt Kyoto, Kyoto, Japan
31. La Reserve, Paris, France
32. Gleneagles, Auchterarder, Scotland
33. Hotel Du Cap-Eden-Roc, Antibes, France
34. Cheval Blanc Paris, France
35. Four Seasons Astir Palace Hotel Athens, Greece
36. Soneva Jani, Maldives
37. The Newt in Somerset, Bruton, United Kingdom
38. Amangalla, Galle, Sri Lanka
39. Hoshinoya Tokyo, Japan
40. Desa Potato Head, Bali, Indonesia
41. Eden Rock St. Barths, Caribbean
42. The Siam, Bangkok, Thailand
43. Badrutt’s Palace, St. Moritz, Switzerland
44. Atlantis The Royal, Dubai, UAE
45. The Oberoi Amarvilas, Agra, India
46. NoMad London, United Kingdom
47. The Savoy, London, United Kingdom
48. Equinox New York, United States
49. Six Senses Ibiza, Balearic Islands, Spain
50. Hôtel de Crillon, Paris, France